Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:23:21 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: machine reboot & kernel maxusers option

>>I really don't like the two dozen ``foo: not found at address ...''
>>messages for the installation kernel.

>I like it. A lot. I hate systems that don't tell me what the hell they're
>doing on boot-up (see also, Windows NT, SCO, Unixware).

I like them too, but the message buffer isn't large enough for many more.
Yesterday I tested 23 extended DOS partitions D: to Z: and the message
buffer filled up with messages about strange partition data, overwriting
more important messages.  A message buffer in libdisk filled up and
overwrote the stack.  The kernel message buffer should be much larger
until syslogd can be run.

>How about at least an "options BOOTVERBOSE" for us belt-and-suspenders types?

Note that the `bootverbose' flag is not a verbose booting flag; it is a
verbose flag that is set at boot time and happens to be used more while
booting.  There should be a sysctl to control it after booting and some
way to set the defaults for all boot-control values

Bruce