Date:      Wed, 6 May 2009 10:56:42 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Odhiambo =?utf-8?q?=E3=83=AF=E3=82=B7=E3=83=B3=E3=83=88=E3=83=B3?= <odhiambo@gmail.com>, af300wsm@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Configuring an IPv6 router to assign addresses

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 10:39:24 am Odhiambo  =E3=83=AF=E3=82=B7=E3=83=B3=
=E3=83=88=E3=83=B3 wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM, <af300wsm@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've found in the handbook how to start up a v6 router and some other
> > helpful links on this topic at the FreeBSD diary. However, I'm
> > wondering, how do I configure the router to assign addresses to
> > hosts.
>
> Nice question. I wonder if isc-dhcp-server can already handle IPv6
> addresses. I, too, am interested in knowing and I guess it's time I
> start learning these IPv6 stuff.

Is there a reason you need to control the addresses used by your clients=20
(other than the prefix)? I set up IPv6 on my LAN and while I have DHCPd=20
running on the router for IPv4 addresses rtadvd is all I needed for IPv6.=20
Clients assign themselves addresses based on the network prefix they=20
learn from route solicitation and their own MAC address. That's supposed=20
to be one of the "reduced administration" benefits of the new=20
protocol. :)

JN