Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 110 18:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mcafee.com>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jimd@mcafee.com, nate@sri.MT.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing Memory & shrinking drives

> [ My claim that FreeBSD isn't succeptible to virus's for multiple reasons ]
>
> > 	Mostly correct.  Note that most PC virii are not OS specific --
> > 	they rely on the initial behaviour of the BIOS (these are
> > 	boot sector virii; there are a few hundred of them like
> > 	'Stoned' and 'Michealangelo').
>
> True.  But I claim that 'most' is probably too strong.  Many are
> Boot-sector virus's.

	I was a bit unclear on this point.  Most virii are file
	infectors (about 7,000 known depending on who you ask and
	how they count them).  Most infections (by a huge margin)
	are via the boot sector.  Way over 90% of all confirmed
	infections in the AV tech support teams at McAfee and
	at Symantec (a year and a half ago when I was there) were
	BSV's.  Most of those were simple BSV and not even multi-partite.

	So, to elaborate my original statement:  PC's running various
	32-bit OS', including Free/Net/Open/386-BSD and Linux, are
	technically as susceptible to the most prolific virii as PC's
	running DOS.  Your PC can catch the bug -- even though the
	bug won't often propagate beyond it.

	I like to explain this to people using the phrase PC virus
	(i.e. those that rely on the BIOS) rather than DOS virus
	(file infectors that are specific to DOS and DOS emulators).
	This is not a standard terminology -- just a point of
	clarification.

> Exactly my point.  In order to get/pass the virus your OS must allow it
> to be passed on, and Unix doesn't allow this.
>
> So, to get a boot-sector virus chances are *very* high that it came from
> a DOS/Windows floppy, so you should be able to use any of the
> DOS/Windows software to remove it.  If you have a DOS floppy you are
> running DOS, and can run the DOS software to remove it. :)

	Agreed.  You can use your DOS tools to remove it --
	Usually you can use FDISK /MBR (or the appropriate 'dd' command
	or sysinstall) to remove most MBR BSV's, use DOS' SYS command
	(or the equivalent) to fix the logical boot record
	(there's one MBR per drive, and on LBR per partition).

	Note that many DOS emulators (like merge, and dosemu, and
	SoftPC/SoftWindows) can "catch" PC/DOS viruses and infect
	the emulated MBR/LBR and executable files on their (partition|
	virtual volumes|whatever your brand x calls it).

	Basically a virus is just a program.  Any emulator that's
	sufficiently powerful to run a reasonable range of DOS
	programs is powerful enough to "catch" a virus.

> Good point.
>
> The Moral of the story is:
> "Never post a small description of a problem when you know a complete
> expert in the field is lurking in the wings." :)

	I'd hardly consider myself an expert -- but I do play one on
	the 'net.

	Actually the sad news (for some) is that I'm going to be
	leaving (this list for now and this company for ....).

	I'll probably sign back into this list from another account
	(once I get my uucp feed working from rahul).