Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:15:43 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File system full.

On Sunday, 12 December 1999 at  8:04:25 -0600, jahanur wrote:
> 	 Hi Folks,
> Happy Holidays.
> Do you ppl know what does this mean.
> I can not figure out where is this full.
>
> Please help.
>
> runner kernel log messages:
>> il.local), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> pid 4032 (mail.local), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> pid 4033 (mail.local), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> pid 4065 (mail.local), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> pid 4066 (mail.local), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> pid 4097 (mail.local), uid 0 on /: file system full

It's a pity that you didn't say what version of FreeBSD you're
running, like we ask.  However, based on the fact that this is
mail.local, and the file system looks fine when you look at it, this
is almost certainly the bug that somebody else mentioned, that
somebody is trying to deliver a very large mail message.  Later
versions of FreeBSD (I think 3.2 and up, but it could be 3.3) no
longer have this problem.  In your case, you can do one of these:

1.  Go into /var/spool/mqueue and look for a very big file, which will
    have a name like dfSAA00420.  Delete it and the corresponding file
    qfSAA00420 (same name except for the q at the start).

2.  Install a newer version of mail.local, which will create its temp
    file in /var/tmp instead of /tmp.

3.  Create a memory file system with enough space and mount /tmp on
    it.

I would personally go for (1).  People shouldn't be sending 15 MB mail
messages.

Greg