Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:35:53 -0500
From:      "Jeays, Mike - SDD/DDS" <mike.jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Semi-crashed system

My Pentium 120 running FreeBSD 3.1 "crashed" yesterday, running on hardware
that up to now
has been very reliable.  Symptoms were:

  1) No keyboard input accepted to KDE, but the display was still running,
and showing
  two xclocks, both running, one on a network-connected machine, one local.

  2) Hitting ctrl-alt-F2 brought up a login prompt, but it wouldn't respond
to the return key.

  3) It could be pinged from the other machine, but would not accept telnet
or ftp logins,
  in much the same way as the attempt to login from another tty.

So I had to reset it, and let fsck do its thing.  What else could I have
tried to shut
it down properly, please?  I have seen this kind of problem before, but
can't
reproduce it.