Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ethernet Cables

>Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 08:16:19 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>

>You need to make sure that the cables match on both ends.

That is, that they are "straight-through" (vs. "crossover") cables -- as
long as you're going from a machine to a hub.

If you're going directly between machines (no hub), use a crossover
cable.

>The configuration I use for 10Base-T CAT 5 cabling is:

>(Cable to the right, clip of RJ-45 plug down)

>Top
>White Blue
>Blue
>White Orange
>White Brown
>Brown
>Orange
>White Green
>Green
>Bottom

If I were in the position of doing some work at your site, I'd
appreciate it if you didn't do it quite that way.  :-)

The usual color coding (using a similar depiction) would be:

	Normal (straight-through):	Crossover (one end only):
	 top				 top
1	White-Orange			White-Green
2	Orange				Green
3	White-Green			White-Orange
4	Blue				Brown
5	White-Blue			White-Brown
6	Green				Orange
7	White-Brown			White-Blue
8	Brown				Blue
	 bottom				 bottom

>Note: It is the pairs of wires, and not the colors that matter.  Pairs
>are: 1-2 3-6 4-5 7-8.

True -- though I probably would have specified "1-2 3-6 5-4 7-8".  And
(as noted), I agree that the colors matter neither to the electrons nor
the holes, but to us humans, they can be handy.... :-)

BTW, Nu-Data has a handy laminated sheet that shows various cables &
connectors.  The above is slightly adapted from their depiction of "USOC
RJ41 through RJ48", with their (presumably typographical) swap of "Green"
and "Orange" corrected.  I received a copy of the sheet for the price of
a free phone call to request a copy of their catalog.  (Well, it was free
for me; those outside the US & Canada might need to solicit the assistance
of someone within those borders....)  1-800-844-5757 or 1-908-842-5757

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621