Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:00:46 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Fran Maruca" <fmaruca@Omnia.com>, "freebsd" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to bring up RARPD

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:12:22 -0400, Fran Maruca wrote:

>/dev/bpf0: Device not configured'.  I check in
>the /dev directory for the device and it is there.  I have modified both
>the hosts and ethers file but don't seem to be able to bring up the
>daemon.  Anybody have any ideas?

Do you have:

pseudo-device	bpfilter	4

in your kernel.  See the kernel configs in /sys/i386/conf
grep bpf LINT

If you haven't built a custom kernel, that's the problem.  The GENERIC
kernel doesn't have this.  Copy the GENERIC config to another file,
such as MYKERNEL and then put the "pseudo" line from above in it and
build a kernel.  The handbook and/or FAQ will help with that.