Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:35:40 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Kevin Rabideau" <krab2623@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Access the internet

>When I open Netscape it times out and cant find the pages.  I want netscape
>to work so i can use it to learn FreeBSD.  I do not know how
>to get it to relize that i am on line so i can do this.  The only error
that
>i am getting it that the page can not be opened and that i need to check
the
>URL!

Well, Netscape isn't going to help you learn FreeBSD, per se...

But, as for your problem, can you connect to Internet outside of Netscape?
Are using a dial-up Internet connection? Are you using ppp(8)? When you dial
out, does it establish a connection with your ISP? Can you ping your ISP's
DNS servers? Did you set up your /etc/resolv.conf file to point at your
ISP's DNS servers?

These are all fundamental things that have to happen before Netscape will
work (and Netscape will run fine if your connection is OK).

We really can't help you unless you tell us *exactly* what or where you're
having a problem. From your descriptions so far, it could be anything from
(1) you don't even have an Internet account yet, to (142) an actual problem
with Netscape.

BTW, I cc'd this back to the mailing list so others can help you too. Please
make sure your reply also go back to the list.

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern