Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 12:14:16 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Sup's Freefall-centric tree conventions

Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com> replied:

>I did precisely this, I used "/sup/current" "/sup/stable", etc. as the base
>for my sup operation here, and these are actually symlinks into my /ftp
>tree, so everything magically works.
>
>We should maybe consider discussing the best way to do this, to help
>minimize confusion ("What?  Your sup collections are in /xyz?") and the
>number of changes one needs to make to a supfile to make it do the right
>thing.
>
>I, for one, would prefer to see my convention of "/sup/current" etc. mainly
>because I would hesitate to make a user name for freebsd, and in caps yet.

I think that we are basically in agreement. My only objection to your
scheme is that it is FreeBSD-centric. What if I also want to support
NetBSD? I therefore feel that "FreeBSD" (or "freebsd", I happen to prefer
the caps, but that is personal preference) needs to appear somewhere in the
path. The important thing from the user's point of view is that by simply
changing "sup.freebsd.org" into "sup.uk.freebsd.org" or "sup1.freebsd.org",
he can get the same results. And further, having gotten the results, I can
turn around and supserve them to someone else.

Further, those results should not step on the underlying system. We should
be prepared to support multiple versions of the OS and multiple OS's in the
archive scheme without them stepping on each other.

I would be happy with /FreeBSD/2.1/src or /sup/FreeBSD/cvs or ...

I think we also need to rethink the "ports" situation a bit.
Although it is generally the case that the latest port of xxxx will work
with any of the FreeBSD-2.x releases, we will come to a point where the
port for 2.1 is different from the port for 2.2. How do we reasonably
assure that the user easily gets the correct version for his system?

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net