Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:35:02 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Masahiro Ariga <mariga@cd.mbn.or.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is my BSD wrong installed?

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Masahiro Ariga wrote:

[fork code removed]
> And,Book says it's output should be,
> % sample
> I am son!
> I am father!
> % ■           ----■ is cursor mark.

If the book says that, the book is wrong. It is *possible* that the
output will look like that but that cannot be guaranteed 'cos you have
no idea whether the parent or the child process will grab the output
device first.

> Here,two questions arise,
> (1) why my output is father's line and son's line exchanged ?

see above.

> (2)On second output,why % mark appears  first,and why not returns to normal
> prompt.

The shell completed before the child process did.

Jonathan Chen