Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:56:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new file for the base system?

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> One of the most common problems users have is getting sound working and one
> of the most common basic tests recommended is to cat(1) an audio file to
> /dev/audio; but there is no .au file in the base system.

There may be no .au files in the base system, but there are some audio
files and a utility to convert them.  For basic sound testing, I use:

 g711conv -a </usr/share/isdn/msg.al >/dev/audio

this stuff has been in the base system for a long time now, though
g711conv used to be called alaw2ulaw in a previous version.