Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2017 15:55:27 +0100
From:      "Frank Leonhardt (m)" <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+m@aldan.algebra.com>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org." <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I need SAS drives?..

Simple answer is to use either. You're running FreeBSD with ZFS, right? BSD will hot plug anything. I suspect 'hot plug' relates to Microsoft workaround hardware RAID.

Hot plug enclosures will also let the host know a drive has been pulled. Otherwise ZFS won't know whether it was pulled or is unresponsive due to it being on fire or something. With 8 drives in your array you can probably figure this out yourself.

SAS drives use SCSI commands, which are supposedly better than SATA commands. Electrically they are the same. SAS drives are more expensive and tend to be higher spec mechanically, but not always so. Incidentally, nearline SAS is a cheaper SATA drive that understands SAS protocol and has dual ports. Marketing.

Basically, if you really want speed at all costs go for SAS. If you want best capacity for your money, go SATA. If in doubt, go for SATA. If you don't know you need SAS for some reason, you probably don't.

Regards, Frank.