Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:25:29 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Tor.Egge@fast.no
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, andy.depetter@ops.skynet.be, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with corrupted vinum devices...

At 5:44 PM +0100 2001/1/5, Tor.Egge@fast.no wrote:

>  I suggest increasing INITIAL_DRIVES in vinumvar.h to avoid array
>  resize and the associated race conditions.  When I tried to configure
>  vinum to use 14 disks yesterday, the machine immediately crashed with
>  a trap 12 in response to 'vinum create'.  I bumped INITIAL_DRIVES to
>  16 to avoid the drive array resize that caused the problem.  I bumped
>  INITIAL_SUBDISKS_IN_PLEX too, just to be safe.

	IIRC, there is a hard limit of 32 physical disks that you can
define, but I've only defined eight.  So, I'm below both the absolute
limit I am aware of, and the limit you apparently ran into.  We
haven't had any problems with vinum create, so I don't think that
increasing INITIAL_DRIVES or INITIAL_SUBDISKS_IN_PLEX is going to
help.

>  To avoid similar races with RAID-5 under high load or with
>  softupdates, I had to bump INITIAL_LOCKS to avoid a fatal range lock
>  array resize.

	We're not using RAID-5, but we are using softupdates.  I'll have
to look into the code and see if this patch makes sense for us, and I
may end up doing a "make update" to bring us up to the latest OS
sources, etc... before I try much of anything else.

	Thanks!

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium