Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 02:21:25 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

Matt Dillon wrote:

>     I don't see much of a point trying to restrict ourselves to the lowest
>     common denominator - some joe sysadmin who isn't willing to run unix on
>     a laptop or who isn't willing to buy a single program for windows to
>     access a machine securely.

Buy? Free ssh for windows abound. There's even at least one scp, though
the one I have in mind does not support RSA keys, which is not the
default for our sshd anyway. Since people have been naming names, here
is more one: TeraTerm Pro with SSH enhancement. Supports RSA, TIS,
forwarding, X servers, and up to vt320 and vt382, including <gasp>
colors. Free.

>     Setting up ssh on a rackmount FreeBSD box is trivial.  It's actually
>     easier to do then setting up telnet.  For example, in order to get
>     initial access to the box from the console one can simply download and
>     run a simple script which pulls the public key to be used for root's
>     authorized_keys file into ~root/.ssh/authorized_keys.  Bang, you now
>     have secure access to the machine.  This is a whole lot better then

Since we have some nice daily/weekly/monthly scripts, can we add this
function to then, with any likely knobs and turned off by default?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	the ants all left because mtn. dew is sold out again