Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel se7230NH1-E, 6gb memory not working on FreeBSD 6.0

> Absolutely, its an architecture not a brand name, should call it x86_64
> as often done in Linux. If you run only a 32bit kernel on that system of
> yours you're cheating yourself out of performance anyway.
>
> slurp down an iso and boot that before you go pulling dimms and such :)
>
> Jack

Okay, I'm doing that now (it will take a while, system is on IP-KVM and
needs to get a CD-ROM attached to it).

In the meantime, here are a few other questions that are not entirely
obvious to me:

1. The system currently runs x86 FreeBSD 6.0.  In the process of switching
to AMD64 6.1, will I need to recompile everything (apache/etc) or will
this work okay with x86 32-bit binaries?

2. Are there any changes to the filesystem structure or can this switch be
done "in place" without reformatting the filesystems?

Sorry if these questions seem pedantic, I've never done a move from x86 to
amd64.

- Greg