Date:      Sun, 5 May 2013 20:26:52 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@freebsd.org>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reference documentation for a scsi DTrace provider.

On Sun, May 05, 2013 at 20:46:55 -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello;
>
> By the way Solaris implemented some DTrace providers it looks like we
> need a scsi provider as a starting point for a iscsi provider, which in
> turn (plus the IP provider) is also a requirement to get NFSv4/NFSv3
> providers.

Why do the NFS providers depend on an iSCSI provider?

> I suspect there may be some interest on having a scsi DTrace provider
> for it's own purposes, so JIC someone wants to try and at least for
> documentation purposes I will share some links I found on how it was
> done for OpenSolaris.
>
> The original commit in OpenSolaris seems to have been this:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/illumos/illumos-gate/commits/c4b38ec17f4eaacad8868141411d7b513910ad4a
>
> Then there is an interesting blog posting that accompanies it:
>
> "Adding a Dtrace provider to the kernel"
> https://blogs.oracle.com/chrisg/entry/adding_a_dtrace_provider_to
>
> And some general introductory documentation for reference:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-dtraceprobes.html
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/DTrace/HowToAddSDTProbes
>
> Hope someone finds this helpful,

It is, thanks!

It would be great to have a SCSI provider, and an iSCSI provider to go
along with the iSCSI work that Edward Napierala <trasz@freebsd.org> is
doing.

I don't have the time, but perhaps someone else will.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@FreeBSD.ORG