Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:00:31 GMT
From:      Jacques <jacques@jacqro.com>
To:        hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: near complete reinstall?

Be _very_ careful with /etc. If you change the disk layout, and then
untar your old /etc the system will not find the root disk, and will
not boot. This can be fixed, but it's kinda ugly. (Been there, done
that :( )

Jacques

On November 30, 1999 Rick wrote:
>I'm starting to think that it would be best to simply reinstall my
>FreeBSD system from scratch.  I don't remember all of the adjustments
>I've had to make here and there, and there's some mild strangeness&
>incompatibility from upgrading to stable and adding DHCP
>(particlularly, loss of environmental variables when using SSH). And I
>really don't think that /usr should be using 90% of its 2GB . . . even
<after "make clan" in /usr/ports.  Also, the default size of /var is way
<to small if you regularly print 100 page postscript :)