Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:27:15 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-PRE: Jumping box. Worse performance

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:57:21PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>=20
> Compiling FreeBSD's world with make -j2 was never a problem while playing=
 sound or doing other work on screen - but this seems to be a big problem n=
ow, even when SCHED_4BSD is used!
>=20
> While compiling world mouse stops and jumps, sound gets distorted. I reco=
gnise thsi behaviour also when box is doing minor HD access: mouse pointer =
stops, keyboard input gets stuck, sound stops playing, window operations (o=
pening/closing) seems to freeze. This got even worse whithin the last two w=
eeks (date when it starts getting this worse unknown).
> This phenomenon occurs on both i386 and amd64 but is much worse on amd64.=
 On AMD64 very short and small HD activities seems to trigger this 'jumping=
' and stopping.
>=20
> Both boxes are singel core CPUs, AMD64 is a Athlon 3500+, i386 is a HTT e=
nabled P4 at 3.0 GHz.
>=20
> I do not get any error or system fault, simply this jumping and freezing.
>=20
> On both systems PREEMPTION is enabled in the kernel, but the problem also=
 occurs without this option.
>=20
> Any ideas, suggestion, maybe explanations?

Check for interrupt storms (vmstat -i).

Kris

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK--