Date:      30 Sep 1998 15:05:49 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc & CAM: strange diagnostic

Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> writes:
> According to Dag-Erling C. Smørgrav :
> > OK, that's it. I'm definitely dumping Quantum and Seagate and going
> > for IBM instead.
> To be honest with Quantum, my brand new Viking II is blazingly fast
> compared to my trusty DCAS and supports the same # of transactions (64). My
> 4 GB DCAS runs at 9 MB/s max whereas the Viking is doing 13 MB/s.

You're not comparing equivalent models... IBM's closest match for the
Viking II is the newer DDRS. I haven't tested one, but the specs are
very close (7.5 ms nominal average seek, 512 kB cache, 7200 rpm)

Surprisingly enough, in Norway the Quantum Viking II is approx. $50
cheaper than the IBM UltraStar 9ES aka DDRS-39130W. I say surprisingly
because IBM drives are usually cheaper.

One more argument in favor of IBM disks is that they reputedly run
cooler and quieter than Quantum or Seagate disks.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no