Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:30:56 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        maral@webnet.com.au (Peter Marelas)
Cc:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Argh, lost console :-(

>On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Joe Greco wrote:
>
>> Frustrating:  I just lost my *(#@&@#^*( console again.
>>
>> What happened:  I put xdm as the last entry in /etc/rc.local on a 486DX/33
>> with 32MB RAM, Fahrenheit 1280 VGA card, running 2.0.5R.
>
>The README in XF86312 says to start xdm from a tty in /etc/ttys

I always start it from /etc/rc.local (and haven't had any problems
as a consequence).  I have the following in /etc/rc.local:

if [ -f /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -a -f /usr/local/etc/xdm/xdm-config ]; then
        echo -n ' xdm'
        # Delay to allow the fontserver to come up
        (sleep 5; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -config /usr/local/etc/xdm/xdm-config)&
fi

>> After much poking and prodding at it with vidcontrol, I got it "sorta" back
>> - I got a login: banner but only garbage when I typed.  I was then able to
>> run startx from remote - and everything worked (including kbd) - but when I
>> exited, the keyboard was again in a sorry state.

Perhaps running 'kbd_mode -u' will put it into the correct mode for X,
and 'kbd_mode -a' for text mode?  I've never needed to use this though.

David