Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:06:18
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to install an external modem?

>Hello all,

Hello

>I had successfully installed a STANDARD installation
>of FreeBSD 4.3

Congrats!

>My kernel is GENERIC. I have not compiled it yet.

no need.

>I then connected an EXTERNAL modem (Creative Blaster
>56K V.90).

ok. Not a Winmodem...

>Q1: How do I get FreeBSD to recognize this modem?

Are you sure it isn't recognized already? Have you tried to use it?
try:
% man tip

>Q2: How do I dial up? How do I connect to the
>INternet?
>     (what is the equivalent of DIAL_UP connections
>here)

You want to use PPP, SLIP or some other setup? PPP is well documented in the
handbook (you HAVE read the handbook, right...?), or if you use KDE or Gnome
there are graphical setup tools for getting everything configured, bringing
the link up and down and accounting/logging.

>I searched the HANDBOOK and FAQ in vain.

?!?!?!?!  What version are you running? See:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

(one long line)

Getting connected to the net via a modem has an entire chapter dedicated to
it, kind of hard *not* to notice it.... ;->

There's also a "Pedantic PPP Primer" on the same site (try using the handy
search function....)

>I hope I have not asked a repeat question. If so

Everyone asks a repeat question, so don't worry.

>please refer me to a specific section of the handbook
>/ other documentation.

Done.

>Thanks for your time.

Try doing a real search of the handbook next time ;-)

Regards,
Thor