Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:27:41 -0700
From:      Tim Baird <tim@storm.digital-rain.com>
To:        Erik Meyer <meyer@display-umea.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: callback?

At 11:21 AM 24/08/99 +0200, you wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Tim Baird wrote:
>
>> Is the number to be called back a fixed and known number?
>
>Yes it is, or well they really want like a solution where they can choose
>between like 4 or 5 numbers to dial, but thats a later problem for me to
>solve :) So just assume its a fixed and known number.

The simplest way I solved this in the past was to have a simple script
replace the login shell for a particular user(s) so that when they called
in, they logged in (shell style with login prompt) and the script placed a
"bird dropping" file in a particular area and dropped the line.  A cron
process was set up to check that area for the presence of the file (every
minute or so)...indicating someone had dialed in.  The cron process then
initiated a dial-out process to a fixed number.  The receiving end would be
waiting to accept the call and establish a ppp session.

To allow for multiple call back numbers, you could assign different numbers
to "call-back users".  The bird dropping file would contain a reference to
a specific number and the cron process would feed that reference to the
dial out process.

For example, you could have the script drop the username into the bird
dropping file and have the cron process fire up a ppp process such as:

ppp `cat /tmp/bird-drop`

where /tmp/bird-drop is the name of the file created by the login script
and contains the name of the ppp.conf label related to the specific
call-back number.....

I hope this is enough of a clue.....