Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 23:24:07 +0000
From:      Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        cj@vallcom.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with XMMS/PCM

Hi!

cj@vallcom.net wrote:
> There's only silence when playing an MP3 aswell as the time progress
> meter is moving fast forward. Has anyone else experienced this?

Have you checked the directory where you started xmms from? Chances are
that you now have *big* WAV-files there. ;-)

What happens is that when xmms can't find an output device, it starts
using the "disk writer" device for output, in effect writing a WAV file
from the decompressed mp3. During this, the progress meter moves very
fast.

This happens to me when I forget to enable the device.

Make sure you have enabled the pcm in the kernel and also built the
devices. After reboot you should find interesting stuff in either dmesg,
or by running CAT on /dev/sndstat. For me it looks like:

dmesg:
sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b
irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 5
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0
unknown0: <Game> at port 0x200-0x207 on isa0
unknown1: <WaveTable> at port 0x620-0x623 on isa0

sndstat:
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

Good luck!
--
Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk svängning