Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 00:01:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> As Nate said, it's already been accepted.  But the developers getting
> paid are fragmented, not organized.  That's the wrong way to do it.

You seem to enjoy making extremist statements with little in the way
of supporting evidence and I rather that wish you'd knock it off
because it's distruptive and doesn't further the cause of FreeBSD if
that's what you're really, honestly here to do.

I'm sorry but it's not the "wrong" way to do it, it's very often the
*only* way to do it given certain constraints on your potential
"employees."

Don't you think I'd just love to go rent a cosy little set of offices
somewhere (perhaps in the classic renovated warehouse that seems to be
positively mandatory for startups these days :-) and get about 30
full-time FreeBSD developers together working full-time and at very
generous salaries?  We'd then enjoy all the advantages of a truly
close-coupled work environment with big whiteboards all over the place
and working lunch meetings and all the other (generally)
productivity-enhancing benefits of having a real company with real
offices and we'd probably even have a blast doing it.  Except for one
teeny-tiny little problem: The current group of developers couldn't do
it.

The current developers are already more than happily employed, or they
have families and they don't want to move, or they just plain would
HATE working anywhere but at home in their bedrooms at night and are
doing FreeBSD largely _because_ it's not taking place at the office.
More to the point, there are many of us that get along just fine in
email but would probably kill one another if forced to work
face-to-face 5 days a week. :-)

That's not to say that a company composed of some other group of
individuals working on FreeBSD can't be created some day, but I'd just
as soon worry about that *after* we've already exhausted the options
offered by simply co-opting the employees of other companies (which
actually happens to work _very nicely_, thank you very much!) or
getting people paid to work at home on FreeBSD on a full-time or
contract basis (which we're also already doing).  That will result in
much less disruption to the current developers' roster and, for a lot
of very good reasons, it's a good idea not to substantially screw
around with the composition of the FreeBSD development team right now.

Not wrong.  Pragmatic.  Learn the difference! :)

					Jordan