Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:12:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious server-side NFS problem

:Also, while read performance has improved by 44%, write performance
:has degraded by between 50 - 70% (FreeBSD clients)!  Here are some
:quick benchmarks.  Note that the file size of 512MB is larger than
:memory on both the server and client.  Also note that the disk array
:on the server will read at 50MB/sec and write at 40MB/sec, so we are
:not disk bound ;-)
:
:- UDP NFS write performance from a FreeBSD client:
:
:July's kernel:
:% dd if=/dev/zero of=zot bs=1024k count=512
:512+0 records in
:512+0 records out
:536870912 bytes transferred in 52.780773 secs (10171714 bytes/sec)
:
:Today's kernel::
:% dd if=/dev/zero of=zot bs=1024k count=512
:512+0 records in
:512+0 records out
:536870912 bytes transferred in 141.593458 secs (3791636 bytes/sec)

    Question on these:  Is it the client you are running the old and new
    kernels on or the server?  Also, make sure you are running the same
    number of nfsiod's on each (and also try running a different number
    of nfsiod's).

    At the moment I am assuming you ran these tests with the client running
    the old and new kernel.  I have some ideas there in regards to inefficient
    context switching when the nfsiod's are saturated that I am testing.

						-Matt