Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:12:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        BSD Users Group <bugs@bugs.au.freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP, KDE3 and OpenOffice

Dear All,

	I'm trying to set up FreeBSD on my box, which has an Intel
D945GNT motherboard, two 3.2GHz processors, 1GB memory.  The system
installs OK and I've been able to use cvsup to upgrade everything,
remake the kernel (for SMP), build OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 KDE 3.5.
However, three problems remain unsolved in spite of all of these
things:

1.  Only one processor seems to be used.  The output from top -S is:

 PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
   11 root          1 171   52     0K     8K CPU1   0   0:00 99.02% idle: cpu1
   12 root          1 171   52     0K     8K RUN    0 139:40 98.34% idle: cpu0

2.  KDE 3.5 does not like to run any screensaver.  They all run OK on
test, and if I run the actual programs themselves, there is no
problem.  However, KDE will not start them up automatically.

3.  OpenOffice.org does not like any of the files produced from
anywhere else.  I have stuff written in StarOffice 5.2 and in MS Word,
but none of these will open.  Even stuff written using OpenOffice.org
2 on a MS system is not acceptable.  The error is always "General I/O
Error".  OpenOffice will read files that it has written quite OK and
permissions, ownership, etc all seem to be OK.

	Neither the KDE nor the OpenOffice problem has altered by
upgrading these two systems and the SMP problem is also the same as
with the GENERIC kernel.  uname -a gives:

FreeBSD grandpa.connect-a.com.au 6.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sat Jul 15 16:46:44 EST 2006     root@grandpa.connect-a.com.au:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SMP  i386

	Any pointers to any of these problems would be most welcome.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle
 (It's called "grandpa" temporarily - it'll take the place of the real
"grandpa" when it's ready ;-)
	Rob Hurle		Faculty of Asian Studies, ANU
	Home address and contacts:	 Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
	  PO Box 4013			 Fax: +61 2 6247 2397
	  Ainslie		     Cell phone: 0417 293 603
	  Australia		e-mail: rob@coombs.anu.edu.au