Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:42:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alfre's malloc changes: the next step

In IRC there's much concern over alfred's changes from a cross os
portability standpoint, as well as a SMP standpoint.  I'd like to
propose that we do something like the following:

1) Make M_WAITOK and M_NOWAIT mandatory and exclusive in malloc.c.
   You must specify one or the other, but not both.
2) We assign both M_WAITOK and M_NOWAIT values that aren't 0, let's
   say 0x10 and 0x20.
3) We assign both M_DONTWAIT and M_TRYWAIT from mbuf.h values 0x40
   and 0x80.
4) We back out the bulk of the changes made, except where they were
   real bugs.
5) Hack the mbuf routines to reject M_DONTWAIT and M_TRYWAIT that
   aren't the right value in flags.
6) Hack all the places where we did a boolean test before to do the
   right testing of the new bits.

I think there'd be strong support for this.

I've done 1, 2, 3, 5 in my tree and am looking for #6 as well.  I'll
post a patch once #6 is done.

Comments?

Warner