Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:08:32 -0800
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Subject:   Re: [btellier@USA.NET: Several FreeBSD-3.3 vulnerabilities]

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 11:54:08AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Bill Swingle wrote:
> >
> > Ok, so I know these are all vulnerabilities in third party software, and
> > that the actual problem with each program is not really ours to fix but
> > each of these problems can be avoided with small changes to the
> > respective ports.
> >
> > FreeBSD vulnerabilities are few and far between, and even fewer are
> > published on Bugtraq. Having something as simple as this get past us is
> > really embarassing. It says to the security community at large that
> > we're not even concerned enough with security to fix these small holes.
> > We all know that's not true.
> >
> > I'm not sure who dropped the ball here, and I'm not pointing fingers. I
> > just hope that we can pull together in the future to avoid more of this.
>
> Before we go hopping around yammering about "not caring about security" or
> "dropping the ball" it might be effective to ask "has anyone ever reported
> these problems before?"  *I* haven't seen any of them reported, and I've
> been on this mail list for 3 or 4 years.

Wes, the post to bugtraq indicated that they had notified whoever is
in charge of security. If you take a look at the page that's linked off
the "Security" link at www.freebsd.org it specificly states that bug
reports should be sent to security-officer@freebsd.org. This would be
why you've not seen reports of these things here.

I don't want to just whine about this. I'd really like to see this
process improved. How can we help the team of ppl behind the
security-officer address? Is there anything that I/we can do?

-Bill

--
-=| --- B i l l   S w i n g l e --- http://www.dub.net/
-=| unfurl@dub.net  - unfurl@freebsd.org - bill@cdrom.com