Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 00:52:12 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Veaceslav Revutchi <sl@dnt.md>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how get FreeBSD on a notebook without a FDD and CDROM?

Veaceslav Revutchi wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Here is the situation: I got a notebook, broken floppy drive and
> no cdrom. HDD is 1.3GB with one big FAT partition with windows 95 on it.
>
> Now I need to still keep the 95 thing on it but make some room for 4.0
> and install it. How do I do that?
> I could get a ether card in it and copy the FreeBSD distr. in a folder.
> But to actualy install it I need to somehow boot freebsd on it.
>
> Is there a way to launch the FreeBSD installer from withing DOS or
> a similar way?
>
> any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Since nobody answered, it is not easily possible. No CD drive, no Floppy
drive, only an Ethernet PC-Card Nic is probably a no-go:
Problem 1: partition your harddisk without a boot floppy. Can be solved
eventually using partitioning custom partitioning software.
Problem 2: a DOS boot loader existed until Win95 invalidated the mechanism
it used. Thus, booting off DOS or Win95 is a no-go.

I would 1) put your hard disk in another box; 2) backup everything; 3)
repartition the disk, leaving room for both Win and FBSD, 4) install both
OSes and last, but not least, retransplant the disk into your notebook.

HTH
-Christoph Sold