Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:29:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
To:        Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O Flooding

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Rus Foster wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm trying to work out a good way of stopping one process flooding the
> I/O. Basically I have a multuple user machine and would like to try to
> stop one person taking it down...

Hi!

You will basically use login.conf to put user in user classes (set via
chpass $USER) and then restrict the number of simultaneous processes as
the simple way to do it. You can also limit the total CPU time a user is
allowed to handle.

But then you'd also have to look for processes that are allowed to run
as root...

HTH
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,