Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:37:22 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Phillip Smith (3BAGSMEDIA)" <phillip@3bags.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP (or, now I've done it!) Vinum, RAID, and drivefailure...

On Tuesday, 19 November 2002 at  9:05:19 -0500, Phillip Smith (3BAGSMEDIA) wrote:

> Hoping that the gods are with me and that you knowledgeable people can
> assist me with this _really_ big screw up...
>
> FreeBSD4.6-stable
>
> I was setting up Vinum (rather successfully I might add) until last when
> I tried to configure a second mirror with two different drives...
>
> All I can tell you is this...
>
> I had one vinum mirror set-up with this info:

> Working fine. I moved /usr to that mirror and edited /etc/fstab to point
> /usr to this new mirror -- which worked fine. Then I wanted to set-up
> another mirror on another two drives, so I
> (stupidly) changed that vinum.conf to the following:

> And started vinum and used the create -f command.

That's your mistake.  NEVER use create for existing objects.  Vinum
finds them automatically.

> Then there was an error, something about no space on one of the
> devices (presumably, the device where the mirror was already
> working).

These error messages are important.  That's why I ask for them (and
not the config files) when people submit problem reports.

> Next thing I know there's a kernel panic or something that stops the
> system.  If I reboot, the kernel panics with a "fatal trap 12: page
> fault while in kernel mode" message... Vinum sais that a device is
> not functioning properly and can't 'sync' the devices...
>
> I can't figure a way around this. The /usr (and binaries) are not
> accessible, neither is my data. I can't start the system. I'm hoping
> you can help...

Well, not with the information you've supplied.  Take a look at
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and supply as much of
the information as it asked for there.

> (Wish I spent the 10 minutes and made that 'one last backup')
>
> All I'd like to do is reverse that last vinum configuration... but I
> can't get to any of the binaries because /usr is offline. I don't mind
> re-building the system, but I moved my last back-up to that first mirror
> (which I thought would be safe) and now I don't have access to it.

What happens if you try to start Vinum?

Greg