Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:03:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   some questions about kernel

 I try to read some kernel sources of FreeBSD equipped with
 book of Lions ,Bach and McKusick.What i saw was rather excessive
 use of macros of rather complex nature (as for me surely) and
 whole lot of #ifdefs , iterative #defines and some simmilar stuff
 I have not seen usage of these progamming methods so far neither
 im Lions book nor in Minix(sources I have seen so far)
 So my first and some futher  questions are:
 1) Why was such excessive usage of macros metohod of choice?
 2) What is __P macro used in many places in kernel sources?
    my tip is:It is macro with variable count of arguments(
    thing I have not seen before,would someone expalin why it was
    neccesary)Would you expalin this technik to me ?
 3) How can i strip the sources from these #ifdefs,#defines and
    get macros extended(I know i have to use cpp but it will
    produce a whole lot empty lines bearing no information.
    Besides,i do not know whether is it possible to use
    cpp on whole hierarchies of source files)

My 4 question is about implelemtation of some well-known fuction
in FreeBSD
I tried to locate some well-known in some circles surely :))
functions(e.g. ialloc ,iput,ifree,iget)with some helpful
tools as gtags and flobal amd got a good dozen of files.
Same is true about buffer allocating functions.
So the questions is:
4) Maybe somecatalogue is maintained with information about
   where(in what file)each function is definied?Some functions
   were probably re-named so maybe some another catalogue exists with
   mapping between old-style names to new-style names ?
   With old-style I mean books of Bach , Lion and Tannenbaum

Kind regards,
Ariel