Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:15:56 -0800
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM on ThinkPad 380?

Nailed it.  I had tried removing that CLI, but apparently I missed something
in the way the preprocessor deals with creating in-line assembly code.  Anyway,
I've managed to remove it completely this time, and APM works correctly
between 95 and 99% of the time.  I'm trying to get ahold of the PAO developer
to get this changed incorporated into the next release.

 (well, > > On Sun, Nov 15, 1998
at 12:13:05PM -0800, Kenton A. Hoover wrote:
> > > You're SOL.  Its something caused by the Windows 98 compatable BIOSes
> > > for the ThinkPads.  You might try going to the IBM FTP site and discover
if
> > > you can get a backrev BIOS that doesn't have this problem.  However, the
> > > later 560X, 600 and 600E all have this problem.
> > >
> > > The only lead I have found so far is that the kernel APM driver never see
> > > a SUSPEND event coming from the BIOS when the key sequence is hit.  I've
> > > been trying to get some more information on this out of IBM.
>
> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
>
> The suspend event is in fact received.  I rebuilt with debugging on, stripped
> the system and tried again.  I saw the suspend event and everything up to the

> final call into the APM bios.  Upon resume, nada.  I'm going to do a bit more

> debugging.
>
> Oh, I have checked against the linux differences in the APM code.  The most
> evident difference is the removal of a CLI instruction from the call into the

> APM BIOS.  I haven't ripped the code all apart though.

| Kenton A. Hoover                  Network Team Manager | shibumi@cisco.com |
| Engineering Computer Services                          |                   |
| Cisco Systems, Inc.                                    |   +1.408.526.5249 |
|           You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.             |
|              -- William Boetcker (often attributed to Abraham Lincoln)     |