Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:07:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Select syscall

I was looking at the man page on select and some books, and I was just
wondering what the would be good programming pratice when calling select
in a tight look with a non-zero timeout value. Is select supposed to
change the timeout value (I know that this occurs under linux to reflect
time elapsed), or can you set the timeout value once and call select
multiple times without fooling with it, right now I'd just assume to fill
up timeout immediately before any select call, but since it is being
called in an infinite for loop it would be more efficient to have it on
the outside --- will this work on all BSD systems or do some change it?