Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:53:26 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "tien@bisnews.co.th" <tien@bisnews.co.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: year 2000 compliance

On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 11:35:43AM +0700, tien@bisnews.co.th wrote:
> To whom it may concern;
>     I have questions regarding year 2000 compliance of FreeBSD
> version 2.1.5.  Is FreeBSD 2.1.5 year 2000 compliant?

Well, FreeBSD 2.1.5 is obsolete, so it's not really relevant.  The
current version is 2.2.5, and by the end of the year we should all be
running 3.0.

But FreeBSD, like other versions of UNIX, has never had any problems
with the year 2000.  The fundamental timekeeping counts the number of
seconds since the "Epoch", 0:0 UTC on 1 January 1970.  This counter
will overflow 31 bits some time in 2038 and 32 bits some time in
2106.  We expect to be using larger word sizes by that time.

> Do you have any document support on your compliance status?

No.

> Where could I get all the information about FreeBSD year 2000
> compliance?

This should be all you need.  There never have been any problems.

Consider, however, that this relates to the operating system only.
It's possible to write poorly designed applications on any platform,
and we have no information about them.

Greg