Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:50:55 -0400
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org>
To:        knowtree@aloha.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any idea why Sharity-Light is at least 3X faster than smbfs

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:21:53PM +0000, knowtree@aloha.com wrote:
> > Doug Lee wrote:
> >
> > >I'm running FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE on a P166 and trying to copy very
> ..
> > >
> > >dc0: <ADMtek AN985 10/100BaseTX> port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem
> 0xffbefc00-0xffbeffff irq 10 at
> device 20.0 on pci0
> > >miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
> > >ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
> > >ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
>
> On my LAN the FreeBSD boxes do not always negotiate 100baseTX nicely with
> the Foundry switch, resulting in mismatch between simplex and duplex. This
> results in vey slow traffic, but high packet fragmentation numbers. You
> might check that. I have set the Foundry to force those ports to 100 full.
>
> Have you tried smbclient? For this application, why is smbfs better?

I'm trying to use a Windows box to accept a backup of FreeBSD
filesystems.  I therefore am creating a file on an SMB filesystem that
doesn't already exist on a FreeBSD filesystem.  I'll look into getting
smbclient to create a file from stdin, but that thought had not
occurred to me.  This is a scripted process though, so any complexity
of making smbclient do it will be a one-time problem.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com