Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 19:10:08 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHA 2940UW? Linux works..

> I REALLY need help with this, our server is continually rebooting since we
> installed the AHA 2940UW controller and new UltraSCSI drive.  It is not a
> heavilly loaded system, but it does run a database system that NEEDS to
> syncronize its database before shutting down.  Every time this system
> reboots we loose critical data to the last backup.  This is flat out
> unacceptable.  I really like FreeBSD much more than Linux, but at this
> point others in the group are suggesting we move to Linux because they
> know this hardware works fine in Linux.  In my experience I've never known
> a system to simply reboot when it was a hardware problem (generally if its
> a hardware problem it simply freezes up or does not work at all).  This is
> working for two to three days when suddenly *wham* reboot.

I recently had "system crash and reboot with hardware SCSI problems."

I read the followups and didn't see any mention of what MB is being used.
Recently I couldn't pass up an opportunity to buy a PCI MB w/ AMD 5x86/133
for $99. Paid $17 more for 256k extra cache. This was to upgrade my 486DX33
FreeBSD system at work. Took this machine (the one I'm on now) down to 48M
from 80M and pulled my 2nd 2940 out, and put it on the new MB. (Hint: you
are supposed to be laughing, I am, $200 of memory and a $150 controller,
another $250 of SCSI drives, on a $116 MB/CPU). Anyhow, FreeBSD 2.1.5
crashed under heavy SCSI usage. Upgraded to 2.2-current, then 3.0-current,
upgraded Adaptec BIOS from 1.10 to 1.16. No change. Compared GENERIC
against my config file and tried all the AHC options. Crash usually said
something like, "Panic: Page Missing".

Finally figured out the cache on the MB was the single cause of my crashes.
Later found a reference that knew everything there was to know about this
cheapie MB: <http://users.aol.com/sdnd/vip.htm>. Thought I'd tried both WB
and WT cache modes, but after reading the above page I got brave (or
bored), put the cache back in, tried WT cahce mode, and its been running a
month or so w/o any SCSI problems.

Interesting thing about this problem was iozone couldn't make the system
fail, "make world" with the source/obj on a SCSI drive was one of the best
ways to crash (boot disk and running system are IDE). Another way to crash
was to put a swap partition on a SCSI disk, but this was too good of a way
to crash the system.

My problem was hardware.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net