Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:47:10 +0000
From:      lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: YP/NIS timeout.

--oTHb8nViIGeoXxdp

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 08:25:20PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Dec 29), lewiz said:
> >   I'm wondering if there is any way to stop my system completely
> > falling over when my YP/NIS server is no longer available?  I am
> > unable to login, even with my root account.  I have a local user that
> > I would like to use (when the YP/NIS server is unavailable) but this
> > seems impossible.  Any ideas on this matter?
>=20
> Make sure the local user is above the + in your passwd file and you
> should be okay.  Define "unable to login".  Do you simply get "login
> incorrect" for all attempts, or are you able to log in but something
> else happens?

At the login: prompt I enter my username (lewiz), hit return and get
nothing for a while until:

yp_order: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

This message gets repeated a few times but I can do pretty much nothing
with my machine.

  Even as I log in as a local user (say root) I get past entering my
password, at which point I get the same message.  I can't understand why
this happens.
  Update here: I've just sat and watched it a bit longer.  I only get
one repetition of this message with root, after which it allows me to
login as per usual.  Still, this seems odd because root has nothing to
do with the YP/NIS configuration, does it?

> You might want to consider setting up a couple NIS slave servers if
> your master is unreliable.

I agree :)  I'm trying to do this with a laptop though.  I want it so if
I disconnect from my network that I can just log in as an alternate user
(in my case I have lewiz2 setup, which is essentially a local mirror of
the YP/NIS user lewiz).  This way I can use a synchronization tool
(unison and rsync) to ensure both accounts are up-to-date when I return.

  Many thanks for your reply.  Happy New Year,

-lewiz.

--=20
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
		-- Weisert
--|| url: http://lewiz.info/ | http://www.westwood.karoo.net/pgpkey ||--

--oTHb8nViIGeoXxdp

--oTHb8nViIGeoXxdp--