Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      antonio tuozzo <at.com@utopianet.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/37243: dvd rom - ata0-slave: identify retries exceeded

>Number:         37243
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       dvd rom - ata0-slave: identify retries exceeded
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD cuba.localhost 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Thu Apr 18 17:03:06 GMT 2002     root@cuba.localhost:/usr/src/sys/compile/mykrnl  i386

I have successfully installed the operative system (on notebook asus lk8400), but at next boot FreeBDS (i have tried 4.4 - 4.5 and 5.0 version) does not find dvd-rom.
This is dmesg output:
atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xa800-0xa80f at device 31.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ata0-slave: identify retries exceeded
I have also tried different configuration of the kernel and different configurations of the bios without to obtain not any result.

However, dvd-rom works fine with win2k server and linux
>How-To-Repeat:
Always!!
>Fix:
Hitting spacebar when it boots and leaving it alone
for a few minutes, and then typing boot. However this rimedy (advised me by toby hutton) does not work every time.