Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 20:04:56 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

[format auto-recovered by secretary.echidna.com]

> At 08:53 AM 10/6/98 -0700, Graeme Tait wrote:
> >Chris Shenton wrote:
> >>
> >> I plan to split into two boxes: one for WWW and FTP, the other for
> >> SMTP, POP, and IMAP.  Not sure where I'm gonna run RADIUS yet, maybe
> >> on both for redundancy.
> >

> >May I ask maybe a dumb question, as I am involved as a newbie in setting
> >up our own server much like the above (except for dialup), and hope some
> >day to have this problem  ;-)
> >
> >Why not duplicate the box and split the users across boxes? That way if
> >one box goes down, only half your users suffer. It's scalable, as for
> >yet more users you just add another box, and you can load-balance the
> >boxes easily for good utilization by allocating users appropriately.
> >Configuration is the same from box to box, and having hardware spares is
> >easy. The only thing that might connect the boxes is having them do
> >secondary DNS for each other.
>
> This creates overhead in administrating the users.  Load balancing implies that you
> are mirroring and then the thorny issue of how to mirror comes up.  Some day there
> will be a good solution for this like Novell's, which mirrors in real time over a
> private fibre connection.

By "load balancing" I simply meant that if box A had more load than box B, you would
allocate the next new user to box B (or move users if necessary).

> It's better to break out services to various servers, so that only one service may be
> down for the customer.  If it's fixed quickly, they usually don't mind, but when
> "everything" is down for them.

I can see it cutting both ways. If you had say 5 boxes in my model and one went down,
20% of users are affected. If all there email was on one box in the alternate model,
100% of email is down.

The model I suggested seems to be that successfully used by pair.com (running FreeBSD,
of course).

Another advantage of essentially identical boxes is that upgrades can be tested on a
subset of the system before total commitment.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna