Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:40:17 +0000
From:      Bjarni Runar Einarsson <bre@netverjar.is>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd & identd cooperation?

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new FreeBSD user, lured from the world of Linux by
the FreeBSD jails... so far so good.

I'm currently playing with a 4.1.1 box which gives jailed users
access to the 'net via natd.  For those users interested in using
IRC, the lack of an identd which will correctly either reply on a
jail-by-jail basis or relay the ident requests back to a jailed
identd is a bit of a problem.

No, I'm not interested in randomizing the ident replies. :-)

So, my question is, am I overlooking something, or is my only
option to go ahead and hack up some identd and natd so they will
communicate with each other?

My current strategy is to use shared-memory tables to get oidentd
and natd to talk to each other, allowing me to set up both static
ip<->username mappings and dynamic connection<->user mappings.  I
have a ready-to-use library (UDB) designed for just this sort of
thing, so this shouldn't take too much effort.

Am I reinventing the wheel here, or is this a worthwhile project?
Please stop me if someone has already solved this problem!

Please CC: any replies directly to me, since I am not at the moment
subscribed to this mailing list.

Thanks!

 bre@netverjar.is              -><-             http://bre.klaki.net/

Netverjar gegn ruslpósti: http://www.netverjar.is/baratta/ruslpostur/