Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD as a "mailfilter and/or edirector"

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Thomas Uhrfelt wrote:

> On our network we have about 40-50 users on their own workstations ( a mix of
> Macs,Win95:s and NTs ). And as it is today, they themselves fetch/send the
> mail from our mailprovider ( pop3 & smtp ) at their own will. What I am
> trying to accomplish now is for the FreeBSD box to fetch all their mail (
> maybe 1-2 times an hour ) and act as a POP/SMTP server to the users, carrying
> their mail for them and sending in out to the mailprovider.
>
> Each person got their own password / uid on the mailserver so the FreeBSD box
> of course needs to know that information. My biggest concern is that I don't
> want to create "users" on the FreeBSD box.

You'll have to if you want mail delivered.  You don't have to grant them a
login, though; just set their shell to '/sbin/nologin' and they won't
bother you.

> Example:
>
> 	USER ---> passwd:1212 uid:1313 ---> FreeBSD Box ---> passwd: JIh3egd uid:
> a012.... ----> The users normal mailaccount

I don't understand your diagram, sorry.  Can you clarify?

> And while I am at it, at bootup of the FreeBSD box I get a message ( right
> after the memory messages ) like this
>
> - Bad BIOS32 Service Directory!
>
> What is this?

Your BIOS isn't providing some 32 bit services.  This will mean that
operations like retrieving the system memory size may give unreliable
results.

Doug White