Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:17:01 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Viewpoint on 4.6RC4

Jamie Heckford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is planned or if it has been done... but is there any
> chance we can have sendmail
> removed (In the next release cycle - or -current)  from a base installation
> completly perl style?

This will never happen in RELENG_4 (either with perl or sendmail).
Removing sendmail is not likely to happen in -current either, since
sending mail is an essential part of a unix system, whereas perl is not
(in most cases). Every time this discussion comes up in the past people
mention how nice it would be if you could do things like choose your
mailer at install time. Everyone agrees that this is a good idea, but no
one has come up with the code yet.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?