Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 12:52:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

> > > Every 30 seconds by default, but its tunable with sysctl..
> >
> > Due to two cooperating coding errors, setting this value higher
> > will increase the time between when you unmount removable media
> > and the time you can successfully eject the media (in case you
> > were wondering about the delay on ejecting clean JAZ disks...).
>
> Huh?  You mean, after a successful umount, i could not eject a
> removable medium?  I've never seen this, and i'm occasionally using a
> MO drive.  Not only that i could remove it after umounting, my `od'
> driver even runs with the option to spin down the cartridge after
> closing, so i would `hear' if the drive were still open.
>
> Please, quote the coding errors, instead of only throwing claims.

The buffers for the device are not decommitted until the next vclean
run, since the freed vnodes with buffers attached are still in the
cache.

Perhaps "coding errors" was too strong; "antiquated design decisions
which did not consider the maximum possible number of future usages
to which the code might later be put" is probably more apt.  Maybe it
could be most simply stated as "there are two places where the code
authors failed to look into the future".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.