Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2019 11:51:51 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base  system components)

In message <alpine.BSF.2.20.1901042023410.22494@puchar.net>, Wojciech
Puchar wr
ites:

> > My points were:
> >
> > A) FreeBSD needs to become a platform that can host current and
> > evolving virtualization technologies.
> >
> > B) FreeBSD should be able to play in the container space similarly to
> > Linux. Unfortunately I believe that this horse has left the barn and it
> > may be too late. Then again maybe there is something we can redeem.
>
> C) Make FreeBSD like others. So why making FreeBSD?

Because we offer some technologies the others do not. Unfortunately
inferior and incompatible approaches (similarly: VHS vs BETA, Blue Ray
vs HD) have left us on the outside. Try porting Kubernetes to FreeBSD.

The technologies used today are more than just fads. They are building
blocks onto which future technologies will be built.

> Not everyone needs the same.

Niche. We should be more than simply a desktop O/S (which BTW I use as
my primary desktop) and we should be more than a simple bare metal O/S.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>