Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:20:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        zchi@hal.com (Jeff Z. Chi)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0

Jeff Z. Chi wrote:
> hi,
>
> I know FreeBSD 2.2 cannot handle EIDE drives greater than 500 MB.

This is untrue. Many people are running drives in excess of 8 GB.

I have a 386DX which is quite pleased with a 1.2GB IDE disk.

> As instructed in the book, we have to partition it into 2 boot
> partitions, one for win and one for FreeBSD.  I am wonder if

True. The bootable partition for FreeBSD (or any other OS, barring
special boot loaders) must lie within the first 1024 cylinders,
after logical block translation. This is a BIOS problem.

> the upcoming FreeBSD 3.0 still has that problem.  Frankly, it is

I doubt that any BSD ever plans to share a partition with windoze.
This is very ill-advised, and best left to linux, where the practice
is also widely deprecated. THe performance degradation is phenomenal,
as is the real risk of corruption from rogue programs (such as the
OS) when running Windoze.

> quite not friendly.  Even if I put 400 MB partition for Windows,
> where c:\windows will be installed, it is too tight for it.  I am
> having problem with that.  When I install some program, which will
> create a TEMP directory in either c:\windows or c:\, it is often
> enough to see "insufficient disk space".  That is why I am wondering
> if that problem is resolved.  By the way, if you don't mind, why
> doesn't linux have that problem?

Which problem? It is quite possible to use the other partitions
(and extended partitions) for more space in Windoze, if that's the
problem.

Dave
--
             Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis.