Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:00:49 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>, "Bruce Meier" <source@hilo.net>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Microsoft

You forget that the Justice department case has been built on damage done
to commercial competitors, not to Open Source.

It is indeed a creative stretch to say that the Sherman Anti-Trust act even
legally _covers_ what is essentially non-commercial software that isn't even
sold, only the media is sold.  The anti-trust act was written to prevent
a sole supplier from dominating a market - well a market is defined as a
place that goods and services are sold, not given away.  If all the market
competitors are NOT making money from the market, and a monopolist takes the
market away, then they cannot make any legally valid case that they have
suffered damage at the hands of the monopolist, and so I doubt that they
even have basis for a legal claim.  In fact it's an interesting legal
question to even claim that competition (according to the legal definition)
even exists in the Open Source market, because nobody is directly profiting
from sale of the programs that comprise Open Source.

The claims that the Linux vendors that are making their living off of
selling support and training for Linux would be damaged by a monopoly on
Linux itself,
are equivalent to saying that the automobile manufacturers suffered by
Standard Oil's monopolization of the Oil Business, because they raised
prices on gasoline and thus fewer people bought cars because gas was too
expensive.  While such claims may be true, they have no little to no legal
weight in an anti-trust case.

If Microsoft were to point to their work with FreeBSD as evidence they are
not a monopoly, I think that Justice would have perfectly legal grounds to
object to the testimony as being irrelevant, and I don't see that Microsoft
could have any legal grounds to override the objection.  While their work
with FreeBSD certainly has lots of publicity mileage, I think their lawyers
would be morons to even waste time on such an angle.