Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:37:28 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach

Joe Kelsey wrote:

> "People" don't complain about KVM's on FreeBSD because the developers
> are obviously interested in doing things exactly one way and not
> interested in hearing about misbehaviors.  The keyboard/mouse code is
> quite opaque and needs massive work, but no one seems interested in
> doing the work.

	Even if I thought your first sentence were correct (which I don't) all
you've done is state a problem without providing a solution. We provide our
own solutions around here, that's how things work.

> I really like FreeBSD, but some of the "gotchas" are quite annoying.

	So work to improve them. How do you think we got to this point?

> Why do I keep needing to do it anyway,
> when Solaris has no problem dealing with both the mouse and the switch?

	How do you know that for sure? Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that sun wasn't
having just as many problems, but simply not telling you about them?

> Why does FreeBAD cause so much trouble that other OS's seem to be able
> to deal with?

	The short answer to this is that when developers have limited time to do a
project, generally the best way to make something work for the majority of
people is to code to the spec. Exceptions to the spec are handled as time
allows. Assuming we've gotten something right, problems arise with hardware
that doesn't follow the spec, not FreeBSD itself. If you want the situation
to improve, do something about it. I realize that this is probably not the
answer you're looking for, but hey, that's life. Of course, we get things
wrong sometimes. That's life too.

	Even if you can't program, you mentioned numerous other deficiencies in
the parts of your post that I snipped. Work to become proficient at those
skills, and make your contribution there. The only reason you have a system
available to you for free that you feel any degree of comfort using is
because people who have skills you lack have provided it for you. If you
want to make a contribution, develop some skills of your own and get busy.
If all you want to do is complain, we've got as much of that as we can use,
thanks.

Doug