Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:04:25 -0500
From:      "Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com>
To:        "Roger L. Beeman" <rlb@subako.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Redirecting console output to serial port to capture error message

> Is the console redirection functionality of the boot floppies and
> distribution iso disks intended to be diffent from that of a system
> installed on a hard drive?
>
>     echo -h > /boot.config to enable the serial console for the
>         boot loader and kernel.
>
> isn't getting the job done for me. On the boot floppies, there is something
> that actually announces itself as setting the comconsole back to
> vidconsole and on the cd images there is an error message that I would
> like to capture, that seems to ignore the setting of comconsole.

I know this one!

If you're trying to use the serial console at initial install
time, then maybe this page will be useful to you:

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/embedded/stories/bdgFreeBSDHeadless.html>;

I haven't tried to set it up so that once the install is done
I can use the serial console.

It's probably better to SSH into the box...

Ralph