Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:32:30 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen for 3.0-CURRENT!

"Viren R. Shah" wrote:

> [set to -chat, since this is not -current material anymore. Bcc'ed to
> -current]

>  Kazu> It can handle W*ndows 256 color BMP file.  (Other color depth probably
>  Kazu> won't work.) The size of the image must be 320x200 or less.  Too
>  Kazu> restricted? Yes :-)
>
>  Kazu> Copy your favorite W*ndows BMP file to somewhere the boot loader can
>  Kazu> see.  I used "Powered by FreeBSD" logo by Brian Tao for testing :-)
>
> Where do you get hold of the "Powered By FreeBSD" BMP file? Anyone
> else have any good splash screens?

Install xv from the ports, load up a GIF or JPEG and save it as a BMP

> Viren
> --
> Viren R. Shah
> "Creeping featurism is a disease, fatal if not treated promptly"
>    -- Don Norman in _The Design of Everyday Things_

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com